On the news: Flood then no water to drink and life in Kharkov Ukraine 2003

>Subject: We were on the news :)
>Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:06:58 -0400
>
>
>Hello everyone :) )
>
>What a week! :)
>
>On Monday, Nina and I were hanging around the house playing video
>games… Then there was a big flood :p a pipe broke in the
>apartment and water was everywhere :) It is cleaned up now, but
>Nina’s mother was telling us that we made the news, that is because
>it also flooded the apartments below us, so we got to meet our
>neighbors… But we got the pipe fixed and we through out the rugs,
>those were rugs the cat peed on too… :p Our noses were running a
>bit the next day, but we are fine now.
>
>What else? Well, last night I was making some nice fancy pizza
>rounds :) Mmm With shredded carrots and ham :) ) Then I washed the
>pan, and it was easy to wash the pan last night, because we had
>water. But we did not have water most of the week, because the water
>in this part of the city was turned off for maintainance. So after
>we had to much water we had no water! :) That was not so bad, I had
>a small stockpile of water in the refrigerator… But I am going to
>make a larger stockpile of water… :) How many drops of bleach per
>liter? We boil all the water so it does not matter to much, but I
>will probably add bleach and store the water on the balcony.
>
>Also yesterday I boiled about a dosen pots of hot water so Nina
>could take a hot bath :) She was out in the morning paying bills,
>and was raining… It has been raining all week, like slippery rock
>:)
>
>Nina is playing the guitar right now, and I am happy :) I was
>walking and I found some stores and a different market so we are
>going to go there after I finish this letter :) I will talk to you
>all tonight :)
>
>With love,
>bob
>
>

>>Subject: hi bob
>>Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:56:15 -0500
>>
>>  hi bob, how goes it in the ukraine?
>It is interesting :) )
>
>
>>well, i hope. here it is hot, and
>>getting hotter. so sorry that once you return the pools willl be
>>closed
>>here. that’s arkansas mentality. once it’s 100+ every day, that’s
>>when
>>to close thepools, and not keep them open until October!
>Oh well :)
>
>>oh well. i
>>wanted to know do you have any idea where you will be at christmas.
>>the
>>super saver airline tickets come onsale soon, and we’re trying to
>>figure
>>out where  you will be. we want christmas at our house,but mom and
>>dad
>>will be in arkansas if that’s where you are. or will you be working
>>in
>>pittsburgh, or will you still be in the ukraine? any ideas. if not,
>>that’s ok, but if you know where you think you might be. let us
>>know.
>>lana :)
>Well, I will be in the USA :) But I am not sure where I will be.
>
>
>>enclosed is a taste of home. be happy. love, lana :)
>><< Dcp_0339.jpg >>
>Spaceeba :) )
>
>
>>Hi Nina and bob – we are so glad you have found each other and
>>are having a wonderful summer.
>We are and Nina liked your letter too :) )
>
>>We hope Nina can come to visit us and stay for awhile so we can get
>>to know her too. You know you are always welcome to stay with us
>>bob, and so will your dear friend be welcomed to stay.
>Thank you :)
>
>>It is too bad that the phone connection is so hard to hear, but Dad
>>lights up like a Christmas tree when he hears your voice
>>bob..and so do I. Be kind to one another, and love will last.
>>write or call, we love you both..Mom
>Spaaceeebaaa :) )
>
>

>>Subject: 4 Files Sent to Other Address.  ewrc
>>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:59:43 -0500
>>
>>bob,
>>
>>Have scanned (initially as .bmp files, then converted to .jpg’s) 4
>>pages
>>of music cards (from Learn To Play The Piano Overnight).
>>
>>Am sending 1 at a time to write@tohearmore.com   Let me know if
>>they go
>>through.  Or if this is not exactly the correct address.
>I got the files :) ) Thank you :) ) The printer is at Nina’s Mom’s
>appartment, so I will print them out when I am there, or I will just
>rewrite them onto some paper :)
>
>
>>Can you email me a list of things to fix on the red car?
>Where the tailpipe connects to the engine… And the
>air-conditioner…
>
>There are other things like doors and the trunk… But I was
>thinking of just putting a padlock on the trunk… I am not sure how
>much money should be spent on fixing the body of the car…
>
>It could be waxed and some of the holes could be patched… :)
>
>>Will try to call Saturday July 12 at 8 PM/Ukraine (noon/Central).
>>
>>Love,
>>
>>
>>
>>Dad
>I will be home :)
>
>
>
>We were on the news :)
>
>
>Hello everyone :) )
>
>What a week! :)
>
>On Monday, Nina and I were hanging around the house playing video
>games… Then there was a big flood :p a pipe broke in the
>appartment and water was everywhere :) It is cleaned up now, but
>Nina’s mother was telling us that we made the news, that is because
>it also flooded the appartments below us, so we got to meet our
>neighbors… But we got the pipe fixed and we through out the rugs,
>those were rugs the cat peed on too… :p Our noses were running a
>bit the next day, but we are fine now.
>
>What else? Well, last night I was making some nice fancy pizza
>rounds :) Mmm With shredded carrots and ham :) ) Then I washed the
>pan, and it was easy to wash the pan last night, because we had
>water. But we did not have water most of the week, because the water
>in this part of the city was turned off for maintainance. So after
>we had to much water we had no water! :) That was not so bad, I had
>a small stockpile of water in the refrigerator… But I am going to
>make a larger stockpile of water… :) How many drops of bleach per
>liter? We boil all the water so it does not matter to much, but I
>will probably add bleach and store the water on the balcony.
>
>Also yesterday I boiled about a dosen pots of hot water so Nina
>could take a hot bath :) She was out in the morning paying bills,
>and was raining… It has been raining all week, like slippery rock
>:)
>
>Nina is playing the guitar right now, and I am happy :) I was
>walking and I found some stores and a different market so we are
>going to go there after I finish this letter :) I will talk to you
>all tonight :)
>
>With love,
>bob
>
>

>>Subject: hi bob
>>Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:56:15 -0500
>>
>>  hi bob, how goes it in the ukraine?
>It is interesting :) )
>
>
>>well, i hope. here it is hot, and
>>getting hotter. so sorry that once you return the pools willl be
>>closed
>>here. that’s arkansas mentality. once it’s 100+ every day, that’s
>>when
>>to close thepools, and not keep them open until October!
>Oh well :)
>
>>oh well. i
>>wanted to know do you have any idea where you will be at christmas.
>>the
>>super saver airline tickets come onsale soon, and we’re trying to
>>figure
>>out where  you will be. we want christmas at our house,but mom and
>>dad
>>will be in arkansas if that’s where you are. or will you be working
>>in
>>pittsburgh, or will you still be in the ukraine? any ideas. if not,
>>that’s ok, but if you know where you think you might be. let us
>>know.
>>lana :)
>Well, I will be in the USA :) But I am not sure where I will be.
>
>
>>enclosed is a taste of home. be happy. love, lana :)
>><< Dcp_0339.jpg >>
>Spaceeba :) )
>
>
>>Hi Nina and bob – we are so glad you have found each other and
>>are having a wonderful summer.
>We are and Nina liked your letter too :) )
>
>>We hope Nina can come to visit us and stay for awhile so we can get
>>to know her too. You know you are always welcome to stay with us
>>bob, and so will your dear friend be welcomed to stay.
>Thank you :)
>
>>It is too bad that the phone connection is so hard to hear, but Dad
>>lights up like a Christmas tree when he hears your voice
>>bob..and so do I. Be kind to one another, and love will last.
>>write or call, we love you both..Mom
>Spaaceeebaaa :) )
>
>

>>Subject: 4 Files Sent to Other Address.
>>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:59:43 -0500
>>
>>bob,
>>
>>Have scanned (initially as .bmp files, then converted to .jpg’s) 4
>>pages
>>of music cards (from Learn To Play The Piano Overnight).
>>
>>Am sending 1 at a time to write@tohearmore.com   Let me know if
>>they go
>>through.  Or if this is not exactly the correct address.
>I got the files :) ) Thank you :) ) The printer is at Nina’s Mom’s
>appartment, so I will print them out when I am there, or I will just
>rewrite them onto some paper :)
>
>
>>Can you email me a list of things to fix on the red car?
>Where the tailpipe connects to the engine… And the
>air-conditioner…
>
>There are other things like doors and the trunk… But I was
>thinking of just putting a padlock on the trunk… I am not sure how
>much money should be spent on fixing the body of the car…
>
>It could be waxed and some of the holes could be patched… :)
>
>>Will try to call Saturday July 12 at 8 PM/Ukraine (noon/Central).
>>
>>Love,
>>
>>
>>
>>Dad
>I will be waiting for your call :)
>

>Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:45:14 -0400
>
>
>Hi everyone :)
>
>Sorry for missing your call on Sunday. We were visiting Nina’s
>mother where she is working. It was nice and we showed her mother
>some pictures and had tea. We were going there because in the fall,
>Nina will be doing some work for them translating letters, and she
>was helping someone with a problem using some websites. And while we
>were waiting for her boss, I watched Nina translate a letter, then
>they payed her 2 grivnas. :) Also it was interesting seeing their
>network :) It looked like something me and Shafraz patched together
>at 3:00 in the morning after having too much coffee :) I took a
>picture :)
>
>Also in the area was an art exhibition with all sorts of crafts to
>buy :) One of the things I got was a matrushka,
>in-russian(ËÞÐÏÅÜÉÞ), it is a set of nested wooden dolls that fit
>inside each other. :) There are lots of interesting things in that
>part of the city, so we are going there tomorrow :)
>
>”…and then the water came and washed away all the beets…”
>Today we mostly stayed at home, there was a terrable storm, lots of
>wind, rain, and hail. The trams all stopped, lots of large old trees
>were blown down… Lots of roofs and billboards were blown off. But
>we were lucky, our roof is fine. :) We did have a computer problem
>today, the Grand-Theft-Auto Game CD exploded(shattered) in the
>52x-CDROM! So I am watching the matrix instead of playing that. We
>will fix the CD problem tomorrow :)
>

>>Subject: Re: We were on the news :)
>>Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:15:31 -0500
>>
>> > hi bob, sorry to hear you have to boil all water. it sure is an
>>adventure you
>> > are having.
>I was just asking Nina about that again :) It seems that she says
>the water should all be boiled because it smells like clorine too
>much :) I was thinking it was something more serious :) But for
>water storage, I will take Dad’s advice. :)
>
>>you’re really roughing it.
>Well, that’s life being a computer guy, there is always something
>going on… :) Even my vacations need debugging :) )
>
>>hope to much of your stuff wasn’t
>> > ruined in your flood.
>No, just some rugs and the stress of putting everything back
>together.
>
>>you’re just destined to have apartments with floods.
>I was telling Nina about my past appartments and she agrees :)
>
>>i
>> > don’t know how much bleach to add to water, personally i
>>wouldn’t add any, i’d
>> > figure boiling it is ok.
>Well… It is only for the next emergency, so it can sit, when I
>make it… :)
>
>>well, you have to boil water to take a bath- weird!
>> > and inconvenienct.
>Yep :) But is is not so bad, it is easy to make a shallow bath with
>a pot of boiling water and some cold water. And I am careful :) I
>mix the water in a separate bucket so the tub does not crack, we do
>not need more water problems :)
>
>>no water for the most of a week. how do you flush?
>Well, we did not use it much… :)
>
>> > hopefully you have a toilet.
>Yes, it is working now :)
>
>>well, it’s an adventure you’re on. you’ll always
>> > remember what you did once you finished college.even if it’s
>>gritty, terrible,
>> > and without water, you’ll always remember it.
>:)
>
>>be happy in the ukraine.
>I am :) )
>
>>any
>> > ideas where you’ll be for christmas? hopefully you’ll get a job
>>iin
>> > pittsburgh.
>Well, in the book market tomorrow, I am getting some postcards to
>send my old professors. So I am keeping my options open, and I do
>want to keep in contact with some of my professors and friends in
>that area. But I do not know if I will be able to have Christmas
>off, where ever I am working… We will see.
>
>>there is nothing in arkansas.
>Well, I think there are a few things in Arkansas, I know a few
>people :)
>
>>mom’s looking for work here, now
>> > that her knees hurt, she have people leaning on her for support,
>>but there’s
>> > nothing in the paper, chicken pluckers! and mechanics.
>Well, there is nothing wrong with plucking chickens :)
>
>>work in pittsburgh-
>> > you’ll get a higher paying job there, and you can save up and
>>bring your girl
>> > over sometime. be happy.love, lana
>Yes, I do want her with me :)
>

>>Subject: Disinfection of Water for Drinking.
>>Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:25:37 -0500
>>
>>Disinfection of Water for Drinking.
>>
>>bob,
>>
>>Water for drinking may be disinfected, following guidelines
>>suggested in
>>http://emd.wa.gov/5-ppt/trng/pubed/home-prep/14-water.htm by adding
>>16
>>drops of standard household bleach per gallon.  Standard household
>>bleach (“Clorox”) has typically been 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, but
>>sometimes may be slightly higher.  The differences shouldn’t
>>matter.
>>
>>This works out as follows:
>>
>>  1 Liter     1 Quart    2 Liters    2 Quarts    4 Liters    1
>>Gallon
>>  4 drops     4 drops    8 drops     8 drops     16 drops    16
>>drops
>Thank you Dad :) ) I thought it was 4 drops to 1 liter…
>Bye the way, you would think it is funny, Nina is not so gentle with
>her cat… She grabs it by all paws and holds it like a
>floppy-cat… She sticks the cat onto the rug on the wall… She is
>funny :) She just finished doing some logic puzzles and crosswords,
>and she is playing some music :) She would have been playing
>Might&Magic, but I am on the computer :) And now she wants me to
>make her a snack :)
>
>So everything is well here :)
>-bob
>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>